Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Paleo Diet Q & A - 1 December 2009


Dear Readers,

Thank you again for your comments and new questions in response to our Q & A. Here's today's edition.



Q: I recognize that I feel much better on small amounts of lean meats with lots of veggies and some fruit, but I become very constipated. How can I correct this and stay on the Paleo Diet?

A: It is unusual to suffer from constipation when eating a lot of veggies, as they are the biggest fiber source. However, you can help your gut health with some supplements until the constipation improves:
  • Probiotics: between 6-9 billion bacteria/day during one month, then cut down to 4-5 billion.
  • Prebiotics: 4-6 grams a day during one month (if you do not improve with 4 grams increase up to 6 grams). Then cut down to 2 grams a day.
  • Coconut oil (a good source of Medium Chain Fatty Acids): a tablespoon per day.
Also, we suggest drinking 1.5 liters of water per day.



Q: I have just had the pleasure of stumbling onto your site and find it very interesting. I would be curious to know of your response to the "thumbs down" your book received by the Weston Price organization. I have found their endorsement of raw milk to also be very logical, but they were none too kind in their review. I look forward to your response, or a link to where you might have already addressed this. Thank You.

A: Here's a reply by Dr. Cordain to this question posted in the FAQ section in our website: http://www.thepaleodiet.com/faqs/#Misc



Q: I'm new to the concept of paleolithic diet, although that is what I have been eating due to some digestive issues. My favorite is just some type of meat and veggie soup. However, I'm not sure what to eat in the morning. I read that brown rice cereal is okay (which I have with hemp milk), and an apple. Is brown rice okay even though it is a grain (or so I thought anyway)? Thank you.

A: No, brown rice is not a Paleo-friendly food, as it is a grain. All grains contain substances such as lectins, alkylresorcinols, protease inhibitors and alpha-amylase inhibitors, which are lend themselves to some health problems. However, brown rice is devoid of gluten which is associated with many diseases.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Paleo Diet Team invites you to leave comments or post questions to our blog. We receive a great amount of feedback, but we are not able to always answer personally. We read all comments, and we are very interested in hearing your thoughts, learning about your experiences, and understanding what questions you have. Note that we review all comments before publishing them on the blog. Comments posted that do not contain questions or comments related to paleo nutrition, or those that point to web sites that do not provide content that would be deemed helpful to our readers, will be rejected.

Thank you.
The Paleo Diet Team